In Devon & Cornwall there were 870 people killed or seriously injured in road traffic collisions during 2017. In Dorset this figure was 356. In addition to the significant impact on individuals connected to and affected by a serious injury collision, there are additional outcomes of prolonged road closures which affect residents, visitors and businesses in Devon, Cornwall and Dorset.
The Strategic Road Network is made of up of 13,670 miles for Devon and Cornwall and 3345 for Dorset. When a collision occurs on the network, this causes additional considerable strain on the surrounding infrastructure, and significant issues around increased pollution and congestion in our major conurbations. Financial impacts are an estimated economic loss of £1m every hour a motorway is closed, and an estimated cost of £2.6m to the public sector for every fatal collision.
The goal is to find a technical solution which reduces the time it takes to gather evidence at collision scenes by 50%. The competition offers a potential contract of up to £200,000 for the winning solution.
The competition invites organisations from across the UK to bid for the opportunity to work with the Alliance Roads Policing Team and Exeter City Futures to develop an innovative solution to a problem that effects all Police Forces across England and Wales.
Once deployed and successfully operating within the initial city pilot, solutions have the potential to scale-up and deploy in other cities and towns across the UK and beyond.
Interested? Join our Information Event
We have now opened applications for the Invitation to Tender for applicants to come and solve the challenge. Working alongside Devon and Cornwall Police and Dorset Police, teams will have access to live collision scenes to test and validate their solution.
Come and join our information event on Monday the 17th June 17:30 – 19:30 BST to find out more about the challenge and ask us as many questions as you wish.
If you can’t make it on the day, the event will now be live streamed! Secure your tickets by following the below Eventbrite links:
How to Apply
The Office for Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly and the OPCC for Dorset (the ‘OPCCs’) are working with Devon and Cornwall Police and Dorset Police Alliance Operations Department and Exeter City Futures to help access solutions that can address these challenges and reduce the impact on congestion and across the three counties caused by road closures following collisions.
The Alliance Operations Department is offering the following support to the Teams within Phase 2:
- Provision of information relating to requirements of the challenge
- An award contract of up to £200,000 for the winning solution
- Workshops to help the Teams understand and meet the specific requirements and operating frameworks that relate to the challenge
- Provision of test areas and data to help develop, test and validate models and products
- Access to officers (depending upon work/time constraints) to help review and refine solutions to ensure they respond appropriately to the challenge
- Access to potential end users of the developed solution to inform development and refinement; and
- The opportunity to deploy to less serious collisions should the teams require more frequent testing and validating.
Applications close on Wednesday 3rd July 2019.