If we are going to successfully achieve our 12 Goals and become a carbon-neutral city by 2030 we will need collaborative effort from everyone. We need to work together to develop programmes of education and volunteering so that people are acutely aware of and engage with the issues we face globally, and as a city, and understand how everyone can play an active role in overcoming them.
It is important to recognise and celebrate stories of local people, businesses as well as council activities that are already working towards the City’s ambitions. This will help highlight best practices and set the benchmark that creates a ripple effect that inspires one another to take action and helps the city thrive sustainably.
This goal embodies the very core of Exeter City Futures; to nurture and build strong community and business engagement so that together we strive for, and actualise, an Exeter that remains a truly great city in which to live.
In a Net Zero Exeter, all groups within the city are engaged with and have embraced Exeter’s sustainable future and work collaboratively and creatively to make it a reality.
- The city shall have launched a campaign to educate and engage young people in Exeter about the UN Sustainable Development Goals and their role in our city.
- The Corporate Social Responsibility programmes of businesses with 500+ employees shall be aligned to enable a coordinated volunteering programme that brings benefit for the city and for businesses.
- An accreditation scheme shall exist for socially responsible businesses in Exeter who are actively working towards being carbon neutral.
- Exeter shall have systems in place that ensure that the voices of all citizens are heard in developing solutions to becoming a carbon-neutral city.
- Exeter shall have processes and structures that support development of local co-operatives and social enterprises formed by communities to deliver the net zero ambition.
- Exeter shall have a thriving community volunteering sector with more than 50% of people volunteering or helping out in their community to take action on climate change at least once per year.
- Every neighbourhood in Exeter shall have a strong and sustainable community anchor organisation.