We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Community Engagement Officer to join us on Exeter’s journey to being carbon neutral by 2030. We are looking for a pro-active and capable communicator and relationship manager to support and drive Exeter City Futures’ community engagement programming.
Supported by The National Lottery Community Fund, our programme has big ambitions. You will help us:
- Connect people and organisations to create a vibrant community of changemakers that meet at regular events and forums, both online and in a physical space, to share ideas, inspire others and form new partnerships
- Enable Exeter’s changemakers to confidently deliver their own net zero projects, supporting them where needed to develop skills that help them to evidence their project ideas, define their project plans and clearly articulate them to relevant stakeholders, and achieve sustainable outcomes through delivery of their projects
- Develop toolkits and resources that will support community changemakers to initiate, plan and develop their own net zero projects, and build community engagement and facilitation skills
As we will expect you to play a significant role in Exeter City Futures’ endeavour to support the city in becoming carbon neutral by 2030, to be successful as our Community Engagement Officer you will have exceptional oral and written communication and experience of listening and engaging with community groups, facilitating community development workshops and programmes, developing relationships with stakeholders and events coordination.
This role will report to the Exeter City Futures Programme Manager – Community to deliver activities within The National Lottery Community Funded scheme, and will support Exeter City Futures Directory of Policy, Innovation and Engagement.
It is a 0.6 part time role and is contracted until June 2023. There will be a requirement to attend evening events online and, once lockdown restrictions have been lifted and it is safe to do so, in a physical space.
Experience and knowledge of working within the VCSE sector supporting communities taking local action and the sustainability sector is preferred.
- Support the Programme Manager – Community to deliver engagement plans that meet goals to deliver community development activities and support Exeter’s communities making impact on net zero ambition
- Contribute to the design of engagement and training activities to support voluntary and community groups to develop local action projects with net zero ambitions at their heart
- Implement agreed engagement and training activities to support voluntary and community groups with development needs from project planning to fundraising
- Assist in creating a thriving community of citizen and community-led net zero advocates
- Assist in the capture of community stories and in the production of community storytelling tools, and of community-led toolkits to support community-led delivery of net zero activities and capture progress made
- To build relationships through existing and new networks
- Represent Exeter City Futures externally at events and through networks and raise the profile of the organisation
- Assist with the analysis and reporting on community engagement activities and impact
- Assist in developing communications to promote Exeter City Futures’ community engagement activities
Event coordination and facilitation
- Coordinate and deliver Exeter City Futures’ Connect quarterly networking events including pre-event planning, invitations, promotion and post communications
- Identify and build a network of speakers, support development and collation of presentation content, and engage accordingly
- Increase Connect audience and engagement within the city and region by building strategic networks with event presenters and participants
- Support speakers and attendees to connect, network and work together during and following events
- Set up the events online using Eventbrite and Zoom, or secure venues and catering for each quarterly Connect as appropriate given Covid-19 restrictions
- Support the hosting of Connect events, whether online or in a physical space
- Liaise with the Exeter City Futures’ Communications team to promote and publicise the events, and keep ECF network informed about event outcomes
- Draft social media messages and content to be signed off and shared by Exeter City Futures Communications team
- Assist in evaluating and refining Connect communications and marketing campaigns, measuring the impact of reach and engagement through regular reporting
- Lead in updating, monitoring and responding to enquiries
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Educated to degree level/NVQ 4 in community development, social enterprise and/or able to demonstrate significant experience at this level
- Experience of delivering projects and setting up support to develop and mentor new community projects, exhibiting demonstrable skills of community engagement and inclusion development practice
- VCSE sector knowledge to allow provision of information, advice, guidance and signposting recommendations for support
- Awareness of the changing environment for local communities, voluntary organisations and the challenges they face
- Excellent and natural communicator and able to work with a wide range of people
- Proven track record of excellent facilitation and presentation skills
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Experience of event management
- Familiar with online platforms such as Eventbrite to manage event bookings, Slack and Google Suite as community engagement tools
- Able to use own initiative, competently manage competing priorities, and deliver to deadline
- Be self-motivated and possess excellent organisational skills
- Excellent ICT & numeracy skills.
- Passion for community participation, co-production and grassroot collective action
Dates & Salary
- 24 hours per week
- Contract until June 2023
- £28,000 FTE (Pro rata salary of £16,800)
Please send us a personal statement highlighting how you meet the ‘Responsibilities’ set out in The Opportunity above, and a CV detailing your relevant experience.
To help express your suitability for the role, you are welcome to submit your application via written, video or audio format or a mixture of formats. Should you choose to send a video or audio presentation, please ensure the recording lasts no longer than five minutes.
Please send applications and links to video/audio to email@example.com with the subject line: Community Development Officer Opportunity.
Closing date: 9.00am Monday 26th July 2021
First Interview date(s): 2nd/3rd August 2021
Final Interview: 5th August 2021
For more information about this role email firstname.lastname@example.org
To download a pdf copy of this job role please click here.