We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Community Development Officer to join us on Exeter’s journey to being carbon neutral by 2030.
We are looking for a pro-active and capable communicator, facilitator, and relationship manager to support Exeter City Futures’ community engagement programme: Net Zero Change Makers. Supported by The National Lottery Community Fund, our Net Zero Change Makers programme has big ambitions.
You will help us:
- Deliver a programme of development and training workshops to enable community change makers to confidently deliver their own net zero projects, supporting them where needed to develop skills that help them to evidence their project ideas, define their project plans and clearly articulate them to relevant stakeholders, and achieve sustainable outcomes through delivery of their projects.
- Refine and develop a toolkit to support community change makers initiate, plan and develop their own net zero projects, and build community engagement and facilitation skills.
- Undertake a programme of testing of the toolkit and a workshop programme in the community.
- Bring the design of the toolkit to completion and made available as a resource for the community.
- Support delivery of Exeter City Futures Connect and Changemaker events and help network citizen-led change making projects.
As we will expect you to play a significant role in Exeter City Futures’ endeavour to support the city in becoming carbon neutral by 2030, to be successful as our Community Development Officer you will have exceptional oral and written communication skills, and experience of listening and engaging with community groups, facilitating community development workshops and programmes, and skilled in developing relationships with stakeholders.
This role will support and report to the Exeter City Futures Community Engagement Manager.
This is a fixed term, part time role (0.6FTE or 3 days per week, or equivalent hours) and is contracted until June 2023.
The role is currently hybrid working from home or office, and may also require some travel to events, meetings and workshops in the community, in accordance with any Covid-19 regulations at the time and by agreement with the Community Engagement Manager. The office is a shared, open plan space, within the Civic Centre, Exeter City Centre.
Usual office hours are 9am-5.30pm, but a flexible working pattern is possible by prior agreement. There will be an occasional requirement to attend evening or weekend events both online and, in accordance with any Covid-19 regulations at the time, and when it is safe to do so, in a physical space.
Experience and knowledge of working within the VCSE sector supporting communities taking local action and the sustainability sector is preferred.
Community development and training
- Deliver engagement plans that meet project goals to deliver community development activities and support Exeter’s communities making impact on net zero ambition.
- Implement agreed engagement and training activities to support voluntary and community groups with development needs from project planning to fundraising.
- Deliver a project development and social enterprise training and support workshop programme for communities to develop their own projects.
- Contribute to the design of a community-led toolkit and the Change Makers programme to support voluntary and community groups to develop local action projects with net zero ambitions at their heart.
- Focus test with communities Exeter City Futures Net Zero Change Maker programme and toolkit.
- Reach 5 communities to engage with and use the Toolkit in 2022.
- Create a web presence to promote the toolkit and programme.
- Work with communities in Exeter to capture community stories on citizen-led net zero action.
- Assist in creating a thriving community of citizen and community-led net zero advocates and build relationships with communities and local businesses through existing and new networks.
- Represent Exeter City Futures externally at events and through networks and raise the profile of the organisation.
- Contribute to the analysis and reporting on community engagement and development activities and impact. Evaluate progress made and capture information that assists in measuring impact.
- Assist in developing communications to promote Exeter City Futures’ community engagement and development activities.
- Undertake any other duties which may be reasonably required.
JOB SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED
- Excellent and natural communicator and able to work with a wide range of people.
- Demonstrable experience of community training and mentoring community members to
develop citizen-led projects, exhibiting skills of community engagement and inclusion development practises.
- Experience of community development project delivery.
- VCSE sector knowledge to allow provision of information, advice, guidance and signposting recommendations for support.
- Awareness of the changing environment for local communities, voluntary organisations, and the challenges they face.
- Proven track record of facilitation and presentation skills.
- A high standard of written communication including editing and proofreading.
- Able to use own initiative, competently manage competing priorities, and deliver to deadlines.
- Be self-motivated and possess excellent organisational skills.
- Educated to degree level/NVQ 4 in community development, social enterprise and/or able to demonstrate significant experience at this level.
- Strong ICT & numeracy skills.
- Passion for community participation, co-production and grassroot collective action.
DATES AND SALARY
- 24 hours per week
- Contract until June 2023
- £28,000 FTE (Pro rata salary of £16,800)
Please send us a personal statement highlighting how you meet the ‘Responsibilities’ set out in The Opportunity above, and a CV detailing your relevant experience.
To help express your suitability for the role, you are welcome to submit your application via written, video or audio format or a mixture of formats. Should you choose to send a video or audio presentation, please ensure the recording lasts no longer than five minutes.
Please send applications and links to video/audio to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Community Development Officer.
- Closing date: 15 June 2022
- First Interview date(s): 21 or 22 June 2022
- Final Interview: Should a second interview be required, this would take place 23 June 2022
For more information about this role email email@example.com
To download a pdf copy of this job description please click here.